Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bret & Lanie's in the HOUSE

Amidst the craziness of the summer we managed to move into a new house. God has really blessed us with this opportunity and we are very grateful. It looks like we'll be in Alabama for the next few years. If you are ever in the Birmingham area, you'll have to stop by and see us.

We are still getting things situated, but here are a few pictures.

There are many things about this house that I love.
The wrap around porch is one of my favorites.


The view from the front steps. The yard was very well kept.


The kitchen.
A little different than the one at Mayfair. :)


Here is the kitchen table. We got the solid cherry table and chairs off of Craig's List for a great deal. If you aren't familiar you should check it out. There are currently more listings in the Nashville area, but it's catching on in Bham. The table came with 6 chairs (2 arm chairs not shown) and 2 leaves. Mom and I recovered the chairs and the window covering. We also painted the brass chandelier for an updated look without having to replace the fixture.


Like many of you, I enjoy shopping at Pottery Barn and looking through their catalogs for inspiration. I just don't enjoy their prices. Here some pics of what we were going for with our kitchen table. All in all I was so happy with how it turned out. The best part is that we did the whole thing for less than 1 Pottery Barn chair would have cost!


The backyard and deck.


The dining room.

Before .................................. After
We painted right over the old wallpaper with an oil based tinted primer. After a couple more coats of paint and new white on all the trim it looked like a whole new room. Dad installed the chandelier. It was only $69 from Costco and looks great.



The living room.


The tub in the master bath


Bret in the front room.

My mother is a notorious bargain hunter. Between the two of us we were able to furnish this four bedroom house from our one bedroom apartment. We incorporated stuff she had used at times past and spent the month of June hunting for deals. She has found quality furniture at thrift stores, auctions and on clearance at high-end furniture galleries.

The entire main floor of this house is hardwoods, which I love. Unfortunately, finding a reasonably priced rug for every room was no easy task. The rug in the picture above is by far her best find ever. She found it at Home Depot for - believe it or not - 1 penny. That's right $0.01! It was originally marked $179, on sale for $75. She felt like that was a pretty good deal for such a nice rug. When she went to check out, the bar code rang up 0.01. The cashier tried entering the UPC and called multiple people up to try and find a way to key in the price. The manager on duty finally said, "Sell it to her for whatever it rang up." Mom proceeded to hand the cashier a single penny, and walked out with this beautiful rug.

I love nice furniture. But pieces we got a great deal on with a fun story are my absolute favorite.

I will add more pictures as we go along of the bedrooms and other bathrooms.

Have a blessed day.

7 comments:

andrea said...

You guys have done a great job...such a beautiful home :)

The Walters' Family said...

What a blessing! Paula said your home was beautiful, but I had no idea. It is the perfect home to make memories in, raise children, get old together...

The Cosby's said...

Lanie, what a turn around you have done since we helped you move in. It looks great! I knew you would have it just the way you wanted it in no time. Can't wait to see it in person again.

Jamie Grizzle said...

You really have done a great job with your new home. It has such a homy feel. There really is no place like home!

Kristen said...

Wow! It's beautiful!! Love all the deals especially the Home Depot one!

Jessa Mullen said...

Michael told me that I would really love your home and I do.. The wrap around porch is my favorite to. I can not wait to come by and see it for myself sometime soon !! You have done a wonderful job..

McKinney Madness said...

WOW! The house looks great!! Much different from when I visited with Elizabeth in college. You guys have truly outdone yourselves. I'll miss you while you're in Nashvegas!!