Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm a Fellowshippin', I'm a Fellowshippin'...

CAMP holds a special place in our hearts. For many years we have spent a week of July off Percy Priest Lake with Rural Hill. It is undoubtedly referred to by all as, "THE greatest week of the year." This was the first year for my entire family (Bret included) to not be at camp together. The laughs, the tears, the hugs and the memories have created a special bond with people there that seems to transcend time and distance apart. Last week we were able to go up and visit for a portion of this year's camp. Even just a taste of camp was such a blessing.

So here is a little insight into the last 9 years of our life at camp.

Some of my favorite memories:

Bret leading singing on the porch
- the excitement of those kids (and adults) praising God is unbelievable.
Singing underneath the stars


Crazy Dress-up Days



Great talent show performances:
~Wade-mandolin, Libby-singing, Dad-guitar & harmony
~Bret surprising me by getting up in front of 150+ people to serenade me singing Kenny Chesney's "Me and You" (such a romantic ;)
~Drew Shark
~ Ribbon Dancers and Salsa Dancers
~"I Kissed My Wife and I Liked It" - this year's spoof to the not so nice pop song




Super cool games and surprises each year
~
Mechanical bull
~Super Sonic Swing
~Team games
~Ropes course
~Gary and KK's crazy games
~Tubing on the lake
~Hot air balloon
~Inflatable games
~Icee machines
~Illusionist
~Fireworks Show
~Jesus painter
~Homewood Dramas


Shaving Cream Battles

Crazy Pranks
Fabulous T-shirts
Delicious Food
Raccoons
Kitchen Raids
The Wild Boar
Late Night Talks
Sweetheart Kickball
(last year - dad was my sweetheart :)
Around the Mess Hall
(rhythms even mixed with "Whoop There It Is" and Ham sandwiches)
Devo Time



Making Lifelong Friends of ALL Ages




Watching my family grow up - especially my sweet brother



Bret and Dad arm wrestling for me at lunch


Falling in love with my husband



Seeing my brother put on Christ in baptism.

Our family afterwards.

My brother leading a prayer with all of his heart.

I am convinced our camp is the closest thing to heaven we have on Earth. Praise be to God for the times spent and the amazing way the message of Christ is shared at camp.

7 comments:

Libby Barker said...

until the day Jesus gets a blog, this will forever be my favorite entry! Thank you for this. I love it!!

Missy said...

Camp is the best week ever!!! I hope Maymie and Madden love it as much as Matt and I did!

Anonymous said...

Well, I try to refrain from crying at work... but "there's just something about camp" =>

I love you babe and we love all of you who have shared these special camp moments with us!

-Bret

Jessa Mullen said...

Ok I have not even been to this camp and know nothing about it except for what I just read.. and I teared up.. What a great entry.... I am so glad that ya'll have something this special that includes your whole family.. What a blessing !!!! I pray the family that Michael and I will someday have will have something like your "Heaven on Earth"...
By the way, I agree with Libby, How cool would that be if Jesus had a blog....

Anonymous said...

Your are so right . . . camp IS the closest thing to heaven on Earth. I'm glad our families have had the opportunity to enjoy it together!! We love you all and miss you very much!

KK

andrea said...

Hi Lanie and Bret,

I love the camp entry...I miss going to camp ;)

If you will email me at fox.mama@hotmail.com I can add you to my blog list.

thanks!

Kristen said...

Just found you!! Hope all is well!